A combination of modern and classical Āyurvedic textbooks are used in the Svastha Āchārya Training Program. The textbooks published by the American Āyurvedic Academy are available through the school. Additional textbooks, including the classical Āyurvedic texts, may be purchased from any vendor, or through the school.
American Āyurvedic Academy Textbooks
The total cost for these textbooks is $250.
Required for Summer Semester:
- Essentials of professional Āyurveda – $40
Required for Fall Semester:
- Core principles & the human body in Āyurveda (Siddhānta & Śārīra) – $60
- Principles of healthy living in Āyurveda (Svastha vṛtta) – $50
Required for Spring Semester:
- Foundations of therapeutic management in Āyurveda (Nidāna & Cikitsā) – $60
- Essentials of Clinical Practice for the American Āyurvedic Health Counselor (Svastha Āchārya) – $40
The total cost for these textbooks is $681 if purchased through the Academy, and those prices are listed below. Students may purchase these textbooks from any vendor of their choice, and are encouraged to use the links below and research their options.
Please keep in mind that for the classical Āyurvedic textbooks, the lowest price will often be found through Indian retailers. These books usually ship from India and must clear customs. Occasionally, packages do not arrive. If ordering any of these titles through the Academy, they will be shipped priority from within the US.
Required for Summer Semester:
- Memmler’s Structure and Function of the Human Body, SC
ISBN-13: 978-1496317728, published by LWW; Eleventh edition (October 16, 2015), by Barbara Janson Cohen BA MSEd (Author), Kerry L. Hull BSc PhD (Author) – $50
- Modern and Global Ayurveda: Pluralism and Paradigms, Frederick M. Smith, Dagmar Wujastyk (ISBN-13: 978-0791474907, ISBN-10: 0791474909) – $40
ISBN-13: 978-1319050764, published by Bedford/St. Martin’s; 6 edition (October 20, 2016), by Andrea A. Lunsford (Author) – $25
Required throughout the program:
- Caraka Saṃhitā: Text with English Translation & Critical Exposition Based on Cakrapani Datta’s Ayurveda Dipika (7 Volume Set)
ISBN-13: 978-8170800125, published by Chowkhamba Sanskrit Series; 2009 edition, translated by Ram Karan Sharma, Vaidya Bhagwan Dash – $169
- Suśruta Saṃhitā: Ancient Indian Surgery (3 Big Volumes)
ISBN: 81-7084-375-9, published by Chaukhambha Sanskrit Pratishthan; 2007 edition, translated by Dr. G. D. Singhal & Colleagues – $169
- Aṣṭāṅga Hṛdaya: Text, English Translation, Notes, Appendix and Indices (3 Volumes)
ISBN-13: 978-8121800228, published by Chowkhamba Krishnadas Academy; 2000 edition, translated by Prof. K.R. Srikantha Murthy – $99
- Bhāva Prakāśa of Bhāvamiśra: Text, English Translation, Notes, Appendices and Index, Vol 1: Including Nighantu Portion, Vol. 2: Madhya and Uttara Khanda
ISBN: 978-81-218-0000-2, published by Chowkhamba Sanskrit Series Office; 2011 edition, translated by Prof. K.R. Srikantha Murthy – $129